Thursday, February 5, 2009

Baked Eggplant & Tomato Casserole, plus some old favourites

BAKED EGGPLANT & TOMATO CASSEROLE

Around four days ago I had an eggplant that was burning a hole in my pocket, so to speak, and a yellow sweet bell pepper that was threatening to leave home. So I decided to put together a mix of compatible vegetables with some Italian-type herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme, you get the idea) and a hastily chopped chili and the usual suspects, including half a large can of tomatoes.



I heated the oven when these were cooked (in a little stock in a skillet) and made a quick cheezy sauce from a package of tofu which was soon to be past its prime. The eggplant mixture went into a round baking dish, the tofu topping (with some lovely spices in it) went on top and I popped the whole thing into the oven while I was fixing the salad.



I had one serving (Okay, it was a big one) and my dh polished off the rest (shock horror!). So I guess it was a success and yet so easy. Oh I'm too modest - It was great!



I promised myself, and probably you, that I'd post what I was eating from time to time - apart from salads and fresh fruit. The thing is, we have been going more in favour of old favourties, including one my dh adores: POTATO PEA & MUSHROOM CURRY from India. This is a good standby for us whenever we find we're in a hurry, want something comforting, and have no special ingredients in the house. Potatoes? Sure, always have a few lying around I guess (although I have been known to run out). Peas? Always in the freezer, just in case. Mushrooms? They're a staple. As for the rest of the things - garlic, ginger, onions, spices, well they're in the fridge and cupboards all the time too. So this meal can be had ready for the table in the time it takes to chop the veggies and cook the potatoes (the smaller the dice, the quicker the meal). We had this about three days ago. Lovely as always.

Another quick and reliable recipe is this soup - TOMATO CABBAGE SOUP Which is usually ready in twenty minutes from start to finish.



It's hot, it's light and it's satisfying. Eat it with cornbread, wholewheat rolls, muffins or, as here, with a simple salad (and faux hamm) wrap.



We'll be finishing off the soup this evening!

5 comments:

MeloMeals said...

Eggplant, peppers, tofu cream! All of my favorite flavors! Love the cabbage/tomato soup too.

veggievixen said...

hey, new look?? i like.

great eats, especially the curry! indian food always seems too complicated to make, but i need to try it more often.

Anonymous said...

Looks like some good hearty meals!

Anonymous said...

It all looks good, just not into fake meat. I like veggies to look veggy like. I do enjoy baked tofu, the closest I get to fake meat.

River said...

Hi Anonymous. Know exactly how you feel! Baked tofu is good, I agree - and home made seitan is excellent imho. I use fake meat (usually soy meat) only now and then. Gardein brand 'chicken' is especially good for those times when I just want something quick and easy yet with a certain sense of being for an occasion lol. Talk about contradictions, eh! ;-) Fake deli meat comes in handy for sandwiches as long as there are plenty of greens in it for my taste. To each his or her own. I used to hate the 'fakes' too - including fake cheese, which I have now come to appreciate when I can get the right brand.