Saturday, May 5, 2007

Nigerian Chickpea Stew With Peanut Sauce


This is a great dish that was posted by my wonderful co-host, Linda, on my Vegan World Cuisine group (http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=10159&pst=688573)on Care2. You can find the recipe on the "West Africa Mains and Sides" thread.:
Nigerian chickpea stew with peanut sauce. The recipe can easily be adapted to non-fat cooking by sauteeing the onions, etc., in stock or water. No big deal. There is 1-1/2 Tbsp peanut butter in the sauce, but spread over 6 servings that's a very small amount. I went for it! The photo, however, was taken before I remembered to sprinkle the top with spirulina. That adds a great extra taste.

Today we had it for the second time (will power exerted not to eat it all up on three consecutive meals!), and because we were late home from town we simply made some couscous rather than rice, which was ready by the time the stew was reheated.

To go with it, the dh made a light salad of baby spinach, a little onion, celery, sliced pear and craisins, which we dressed with a mix of rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, a tsp of minced ginger (out of a jar) and a tsp of mirin.

6 comments:

Aurelie said...

Does it really taste good with spirulina on top? Maybe I should use spirulina in my cooking... You sure do try different types of cultural foods!

MeloMeals said...

oh, this meal looks delicious!

Rachael said...

that looks really good, and the salad sounds wonderful. Peanut butter is just sinfully good.

River said...

Yes, liliy, the spirulina is good sprinkled on top :) That's the kind of thing we use it for - or in a berry smoothie (turns it a wild colour, of course!)!

River said...

Thanks, Melody and Rachael. I've not been keeping up with this blog much this last couple of weeks - much too nice and sunny outside to sit at my computer :) But I'll try to bring you some more nice things we're trying, repeating, thinking about. Oh my but we really do love to enjoy our meals! (Can't see the point of eating something that doesn't taste wonderful!)

Hugs to all, River

Carrie™ said...

I could really go for some of that right about now. Looks scrumptious!