Sunday, April 27, 2008

RAW BEET SALAD



Here I am, gnawing and crunching away at raw fruits and vegetables - and loving it. I had recently bought a kilogramme of beets ('beetroot' to any of you in the UK and what I used to call them until recently), which we usually cook for salads, soups, other dishes. But I ran across a recipe that suggested one could grate them raw with apple for a salad, then use a raw vegan almond 'mayonnaise' to dress it and sprinkle it with sesame seeds. Simple :) Being me, absolutely determined to pervert the course of true cuisine, however, I went in a slightly different direction:

RAW BEET SALAD

3 Tbsp wakame seaweed, soaked and finely chopped
1/2 kg beets, peeled and grated (I used a food processor attachment to my wand blender to do mine)
1/2 kg apples, peeled and grated
1 Tbsp white miso
1 Tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos / All-Purpose Liquid Soy Seasoning (instead of Tamari, which I'm sure would taste fine)
handful of Italian parsley
good pinch of cayenne
ginger root (your choice how much), finely chopped
squeeze or two of lemon (optional)
salt and peppe (if needed) to taste
GARNISH: sesame seeds (optional - but they look pretty against the colours of the

Throw all into your blender, except for the garnish. Chill and serve with those sesame seeds if you like. Good food.

NOTE: the dressing (everything except the first three ingredients and the garnish) is entirely up to you. We love to use seaweeds in salads and soups and anything else we can stick them into - or much them on our own, but if you don't care for them (have you TRIED them all? Wunnerful!), then by all means skip.

2 comments:

whoXcares said...

wow that salad looks really good.now i know what im goin to eat tomorrow :) thanks for leaving me such a nice comment..

River said...

Hi theer whoxcares!!!!

Lovely to hear from you and I do hope others will find your delightful and innovative new blog! You've got a great thing going there :)

The salad by the way can be dressed pretty much any way you like - but you know that of all people. But give it a try, if you will, and let me know how it works. Many people in North America (especially the USA) tell me they hate beets/beetroot. I don't understand this but accept it as a cultural thing - perhaps a dislike of the colour of the staining it wreaks on hands and clothing if one is not careful LOL Anyway, they're a favourite here and I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. I haved a few (though not as many as I'd like) on my blog :)

Good luck with your blog! (Gotta check this out, guys!)